| The Wimberly's were
an early Bertie Co, NC family. Lewis was living in Chatham Co, NC in 1790
where a man of that name had as neighbors Jesse Tatum and Solomon Smith.
Lewis was enumerated in Pendleton District in 1800 along with a Moody family
from Chatham Co, NC.
In the Chatham Co, NC
Court Minutes, 1773-1779 on the list of Jury members to lay out a road
from the Orange Co. line near Henry Beasleys, are the next named Lewis
Wimberly and his brother, Jacob Wimberly.
Lewis must have moved
to the Pendleton district of SC in the fall or winter of 1792. He purchased
land in Pendleton Co, in January, 1793. George Salmon, of Greenville Co,
SC on January 31, 1793 sold to Lewis Wimberly of Pendleton County, SC 300
acres of land for 65 lbs. Sterling, part of a tract granted Salmon on June
4, 1787 on both sides of the South Fork of 12 Mile River, bounded by Duncan
Camron and Earle. Witnessed by Sarah and Wiat Anderson.
Lewis Wimberly moved
from the Pendleton District of South Carolina in either 1802 or 1803 and
moved to Sumner County (later Smith and Wilson Counties) Tennessee. On
October 30, 1802, Lewis sold 200 acres of land on the South Fork of 12
Mile River bounded by Salmon's land to Charles Lay for the amount of $120.00
The transfer was signed by Lewis Wimberly and Polly Wimberly made her (x)
mark. It was witnessed by John Field. On the same day, Lewis sold 300 acres
of land on the South Fork of 12 Mile River bounded by Porter, Cannon and
Earle to Charles Lay for the amount of $900.
With these transactions,
Lewis Wimberly sold his holdings in South Carolina and prepared to travel
to Sumner County, TN (Smith, Sumner, and Wilson Counties after 1799) in
the fall of 1802 or the spring of 1803. My guess is Lewis left South Carolina
the first part of November, 1802 and arrived in Smith County, TN late in
November, traveling about 10 to 15 miles per day. By 1802, there were well
established roads from South Carolina to Tennessee. The road Lewis probably
traveled on was the one that went North into North Carolina, then over
the Smokey Mountains into Knoxville, then west to either Carthage, Lebanon,
or Hartsville, TN which are the county seats of Smith, Wilson and Trousdale
In 1799, Sumner County
was divided into three counties, Wilson, Smith, and Sumner. In 1870, Trousdale
County was formed by taking parts of Macon, Smith and Sumner Counties.
Lewis' plantation could now be in Trousdale County since we do not know
the exact location. Trousdale County Courthouse was burned in the late
1800's by the County Treasurer to cover his embezzlement of County funds.
All records were lost.